Sunday 30 June 2013

No cards today!



I have been bust today, instead of card making I have made some Elderflower cordial, I love to make this in the summer, its such a refreshing drink, just dilute with water or lemonade add ice and relax!!




Its really easy to make as well, pick about 25 elder blooms when they are young and also dry.  Shake the blooms well to remove any small insects and place in bowl with the grated rind of 3 unwaxed lemons and 1 unwaxed orange. Pour over 1.5 litres of boiling water and leave to soak overnight.  Pour the liquid through a sterilised muslin into a large saucepan, add 1kg of sugar and the juice of the lemons and oranges (150ml).  Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes. Pour into sterilised bottles and seal.  Once opened store in the fridge, it should keep up to three months but never lasts that long in our house!!





9 comments:

Cathy said...

Lovely tags on your cordial Sally, my hubby has made passionfruit cordial when we have an abundance growing, our plants do well up near our chicken coop! Delicious :) Cathy x

LauraJane:) said...

I MUST find an Elderflower bush and try this out!
Thanks for the recipe:)

joy said...

I've never heard of this before, Sally!! The bottles look very beautiful with your homemade tags. It sounds like just the right thing to quench one's thirst on a HOT summer day!

Jessi Fogan said...

That sounds delicious! Love the way you dressed up the bottles too :)

Dawn T said...

what a great idea Sally. Sounds very nice and refreshing

Brenda said...

Sounds really nice Sally! I'll have to see if we have that flower here.

Nat said...

this does sound wonderful, I'd be curious to try this :) beautifully packaged too :)

stampingandstitching said...

I remember trying sparkling elderflower wine years ago and it was yummy! Can't wait to try your cordial recipe, Sally! Love the bottles you've used and the gorgeous tags too!

Chriss Blagrave said...

Your elderberry cordial sounds very interesting, would love to try this, making it here might not be possible as I don't think that grows here in Texas. I think I had a bush of this when I lived up north in Quebec? The decorated bottles are really pretty.