Saturday 28 August 2010

Play Date Cafe and a difficult challenge!!




















This is the inspiration photograph for this weeks challenge at "The Play Date Cafe" and this is the challenge!!

Time to shake things up a bit and get really creative! Are you ready?
It's the first...'colour horribilis' challenge! Sarah Anderson is our host with the creative idea for this week, so let's just see what this is all about....."Are there any colours that don't go together? That clash?  Or is it just the tones of the colours that don't work out?

Navy Blue, hot pink and mustard yellow."

I really struggled to come up with a card that I actually liked, after playing with some flowers and ribbon and all sorts of combinations of paper I eventually made this card.























I love this bird cage die cut from Tim Holtz, I already had the cage cut out in a piece of old music paper, I just distressed it with Chipped Sapphire to give it dimension.  The bird is cut in hot pink card and then run through the cuttlebug in the "writing" embossing folder to give some texture.  Although the ribbon looks black, it is navy blue and the yellow shading is also Distress Ink, this time Scattered Straw.

I am not sure if I really like this but its going to be my entry this week as I can't think of anything else.  My mojo is a bit lacking as, all I can think about is having to go back to work next week after having such a lovely summer break.

I have realized that this card also qualifies for "The Simon Says Stamp and Show" Tim Holtz inspired challenge.

Hope you are enjoying your weekend, and if you are from the UK have a great Bank Holiday Monday!
Sallyx
Supplies: Hero Arts Digital butterfly, Distress inks in Scattered Straw, Chipped Sapphire and Tumbled Glass.

19 comments:

Lin said...

Hi Sally, I'm with you on this one......and I give you lots of credit for entering (I'll be passing on this one :)). Love all the elements you pulled together - I think you did a great job with these difficult colors!

Virginia L. said...

This turns out so beautiful! I think it's a fantastic entry! Just keep at it untill you are happy with the result ( I don't see the need though) !! Thanks for posting it, Sally!

Suzanne C said...

Oh I think this turned out beautifully! Great take on the challenge! Beautiful background paper. Love the butterfly! Thanks for playing this week at the PDCC! (even though it was extra challenging!)

Michelle said...

Love your creation with these unlikely colours.. you really made it look rather effortless:-) I am a bit stumped really:-) I would love to join the challenge to flex my creative noodle a bit:-)

Jill said...

Gorgeous! Gorgeous! GORGEOUS!!! I love the background on this- so unique and eye catching!

Elise said...

I wish you could see this from my perspective, Sally - it's WONDERFUL! Sometimes the "journey" can wear us out, but if you saw this on someone else's blog - you'd be impressed! I adore it! I love your choices of stamped images, the fun use of dies and the fabulous composition! I'll say GREAT JOB! ~ You made these unlikely colors work beautifully together! Yeee Haw!

Barb said...

Good for you, Sally! You kept at it and didn't give up. And it turned out so great! I love just the hint of yellow and your musical birdcage is fab! I know how you feel about having to go back to work. . .no fun. . .

Dotty Jo said...

Well Sally, I positively shuddered at these colours... but look what YOU created! Bravo!!! I love that Chipped Sapphire and might just have to indulge as its a fab colour. This is great and I have to agree with my good friend Elise D and say that if you saw this gorgeous card on someone else's blog you'd be heaping on the praise! Jo x

Tiffany Ervin said...

Oh wow! I can see how these colors can be difficult to work with, but I don't think you had any problems at all! Beautiful job and I love how the yellow mustard radiates through the bird cage like that, very pretty!

Lisa Somerville said...

How pretty, sure doesn't look like you struggled! Thanks for playing the PDCC.

Ruby said...

I like it! I think you've worked the colours really well, your little bird cage looks lovely on that paper and then distressed, and I love how you've embossed the bird too. Thanks for playing along with us at the PDCC this week!

Sarah Anderson said...

These colours have really made this week's play date the biggest challenge yet I think! :) And you really rose to it! Thanks for persevering, you did a great job...I especially love the lace in the background

Alice said...

very pretty card, Sally! you used those coloring so beautifully! wow!

Neet said...

You made good use of the colours - great card.

Lynne Forsythe said...

NICE job!!! great card!!
thanks bunches for playing along with the Design Teamies and Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge Blog!

Unknown said...

Just lovely, Sally! Love your distressed bird cage and how you combined these colors.. Thanks for playing with the Play Date Cafe!

Zue said...

Half in and half out... nice idea! I have had fun with bird cages too. I adore the colours this week, don't you?

Sue xx

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

LOVE that bird---and that cage is so fun! Great job with such a random set of colors!! BEAUTIFULLY done:) Thanks for joining in the fun and playing along with us at the PDCC:)

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Gorgeous work on that bird!! I like the colors on the card, too!

Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!

-Sarah